Introduction and review of Neo4j
In this article, I would like to provide you with complete information about the Neo4j database and what it is suitable for and what is used with you and in simple and non-specialized language. Neo4j is a type of Graph and Open source database written using the Java programming language. This database has a high Scalability and is without Schema NoSQL.
1- What is the Graph database?
The graph displays a set of objects in the form of an image in which some pairs of objects are connected by Link. This type of database consists of two elements: Nodes and Relationships (Edges).
Graph database is a database that is used to model data as Graph. Chart nodes, entities, and relationships show the connection of these Nodes.
2- Popular databases of Graph type
Neo4j is a well-known Graph database. Oracle NoSQL Database, Orient DB, HypherGraphDB, GraphBase, InfiniteGraph and AllegroGraph are among other examples of this type of database.
3- Why use Graph databases?
Nowadays, most of the data are in the form of relationships between different objects, and most of the time, the relationship between data is more valuable than the data itself. Relational databases store Highly structured data, in which multiple recorders store the same type of data, so they can be used to store Structured data and do not store relationships between data. Unlike other databases, Graph databases store relationships and connections as First-class entities.
Data model for Graph databases is simpler than other databases and can be used with OLTP systems and offer features such as transactional integration and operational availability.
4- Difference between RDBMS and Graph Database
In the table below, the relational databases and Graph databases are compared:
5- Neo4j Benefits
This database model has many advantages, some of which are discussed below:
- Flexibility – Neo4j: Offers a simple yet powerful flexible data model that can be easily changed according to applications.
- Real-time insight – Neo4j: Provides results based on Real-time data.
- High Availability – Neo4j: For real-time big apps, it’s very Available.
- Semi structure and connected data:Using Neo4j, you can easily show connected and Semi structure data.
- Easy Retrieval: With Neo4j, you can not only display connected data faster than other databases, but you can also easily retrieval them (Traverse/Navigate).
- Cypher query – Neo4j: Using Ascii-art syntax, it offers a Declarative query language to show the graph as Graph. The commands of this language can be read and learned by humans.
- No Join: With Neo4j, for Retrieval Connected/Related data, there’s no need for complex joins because it’s very easy to recover adjacent Node or its relationship details without using Joins or Indexes.
6- Neo4j Features
Below are the notable features of Neo4j:
Data model (Flexible schema)
Neo4j follows a data model called native property graph model. An Graph contains a series of nodes (entities or entities) that connect these nodes (depicted by relationships). Nodes and Relationships store data in key-value pairs known as property.
Neo4j doesn’t need to follow a fixed Schema and you can add or remove properties as you need. You can also create restrictions for Schema.
Neo4j supports the full ACID rules (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability).
Scalability and Reliability
You can enlarge the database by increasing the number of Read/Writes and Volumes without affecting query processing speed and data integrity. Neo4j also supports Replication for Safety and Data Reliability.
Cypher Query Language
Neo4j offers a powerful Declarative query language, known as Cypher, in which it is used to depict Graphs from ASCII. Cypher is easily learnable and can be used to create and Retrieve relationships between data without using complex Querys such as Join.
Built-in web program
Neo4j offers a Built-in browser web application that allows you to create and write Query data.
Neo4j can work with the following:
- REST API: To work with programming languages like Java, Spring, Scala, etc.
- It supports two types of Java API: Cypher API and Native Java API to develop Java applications. In addition, you can also work with other databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.
Neo4j supports indexes using Apache License.